Monday, February 15, 2010

one tomato, two tomato, three tomato more.

So today so far..I made a tomato basil pasta sauce... and the rather spicy relish is bubbling away on the stove. I put half the vinegar required. Though I have a feeling (more like a taste test) that its slightly on the chili side. Ooops cant remedy that. However I can say that the relish once again turned into jam, I slightly modified the recipe... its from the Bundaberg Sugar site.

Spicy Tomato Relish (tomato jamish for me)

2 large red onions, diced
2 1/2kg ripe tomatoes
150g raisins
6 cloves garlic, crushed
10 small red chillies seeded and chopped (i used 3 hot ones from the garden)
rind and juice of one lemon
2tbls grated ginger (I used a lot more)
2tsp of ground cloves (I had none so I added a lil nutmeg)
3tsp salt
2 cups apple cider vinegar ( i used one cup and one cup of water)
2 cups of sugar (I used half the amount)
1tbls cornflour

Method
1. Chop onion finely and place in saucepan (in the first step i chopped and prepared all the other ingredients so i could at them all at once)
2 Cut tomatoes into pieces (unless you have blender to chop them into pieces but NOT PUREED)
3. Add to onions everything else except the cornflour.
4. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally for 1- 1 1/2 hrs until starting to thicken
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 30minutes until very thick. (mine still looked a lil watery so i kept it going for a lil longer) (hence making a tomato jam type substance)
6. Combine cornflour, add to tomatoes, stir for 2minutes, turn off heat and let stand.. later spoon into clean warm jars.

So I am not sure if you want to try this recipe or not. Mine is a spicy jam. I prefer it over the one I made last week. I also made a basil pasta sauce too. Too much liquid so there was enough of the run off to make a soup.

Well I got a call from a lady about the scrabble club today. That starts this Thursday around noonish. So to bake or not to bake that is the question! Thinking of making some herb scones, or some lemon verbena cup cakes. I have Zumba tonight.. the last lesson. As the guy has to travel an hour to get here. Got to go now.

ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment